Frequently asked questions
Most frequent questions and answers
Each family is unique, though there are some similarities we’ve seen between the families who are happiest and most successful in this model. Check out the list here.
We encourage families to be intentional about their decision to apply to Acton Academy! Please read our site and other materials, watch books, and participate in a couple events.
For the 2019-20 year, Acton Academy enrolls young people ages 5 (kindergarten) through 11(5th grade). We plan to have a small half-day pre-K Montessori program for 4 and 5 year olds.
As the founding group matures we will grow into a high school studio.
Acton Academy begins at 9:10 am each day (drop-off starting at 8:30 am) and finishes at 3:15 pm.
We operate on an 11-month calendar, but our flexible program allows families to travel together during the year, without sacrificing any learning.
The school calendar is based on a series of 6- to 8-week project sprints called “Quests”, each with a theme – like Rockets, Robots, Medical Biology, or Detective Chemistry. Each Quest is a grand adventure, culminating in a public Exhibition for family and friends.
Seven 6-8 week sessions, followed by breaks off to refuel and for holidays, make up the school year.
We believe that each of us has a special calling in life, and a series of trials and tests that must be faced with integrity and purpose in order to live a satisfying and fulfilled life. Our mission is to prepare your child for his or her special journey.
We believe that children learn best when working with children younger and older than themselves rather than split up into groups based solely on age. In addition to individualized curriculum, all ages of students work together in groups.
Kids who love to learn, are curious, self-motivated, and respectful. Our environment is an accelerator for the independent learner who can tackle challenging questions, follow instructions, and solve problems.
We take our commitment seriously when we promise to deliver a transformative education experience for young people at Acton Academy. Since we are a small school, we make sure that we have the resources necessary to keep this promise for each family that joins us. Currently we have had success with young people who experience ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, and some minor forms of autism. We are not currently equipped to serve young people with other specific learning needs.
Is Acton Academy the Right Fit for My Family?
ACTON ACADEMY IS A PERFECT FIT FOR FAMILIES LIKE THE FOLLOWING:
- People who believe the traditional school system no longer works to prepare children for the modern world
- Creators and creatives
- Out-of-the box thinkers
- People who want the benefits of child-directed learning without having to make a full-time commitment to homeschooling
- Families with flexible schedules
- People who need flexible attendance for travel and family obligations. (We will operate on an 11-month calendar with 4-7 week sessions and breaks in between)
- Children who want additional time to pursue their passions beyond traditional after school hours
- People who want to maximize their family time
- Trailblazers and trendsetters
- Families who value their freedom and want their children to develop a love of learning
PARENTS LOOKING FOR THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW MAY BE CHALLENGED BY ACTON ACADEMY'S PHILOSOPHY AND MAY FEEL IT IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THEIR FAMILY:
- Those who treasure social prestige and really prefer a traditional education.
- Those who are “blamers” and ultimately will gossip and criticize, no matter what.
- Those who aren’t sure their child is ready yet for the responsibility and struggles—and occasional tears—of truly independent learning (and may be right).
- Those who are not committed to a Hero’s Journey themselves.